I get a lot of feedback on some of the doubts and fears you engineers have when it comes to mastering.
So much that I put together a quick test to see if you’re ready to overcome some of those fears and start mastering your own stuff.
Ready? Let’s dive in.
Answer yes or no to the following statements if they apply to you:
- I don’t know how to get the correct EQ balance when I try to master my songs.
- I just put some plug-ins like a limiter, some compression and EQ on without really knowing what they’re doing.
- I don’t know how to make my mixes LOUD without being SQUASHED.
- I overload my mastering chain with effect I don’t necessarily need.
- When it comes to mastering, I don’t really know where to start.
- When it comes to mastering, I don’t know in which order I should put my plug-ins.
- I wish I could understand what all the meters are trying to tell me when I’m mastering.
- I’m afraid I won’t be able to make a good master because of my monitors and my room.
- I’m afraid of overcompressing my master without knowing it.
- I don’t know where to put the EQ boosts or cuts in my masters.
- I’m afraid that I won’t have enough headroom available in the end when I’m mastering.
- I want to get a richer sound out of my masters.
- I want to get the levels of my mixes to same same consistent volume.
- I want to try and make my masters comparable to commercial records.
- I have a big problem dealing with the mid-range when I’m mastering.
- I struggle with getting a wide enough mix.
- I want to get the right professional volume without losing dynamics in my songs.
- I use mastering presets without really knowing what they’re doing to the song.
How did you do?
If you answered yes to even just a few of those statements I urge you to get over your fears and learn to master your mixes in your home studio.
Don’t let insecurity overcome your potential to make great sounding music.
Ian Shepherd’s Home Mastering Masterclass is absolutely the best way for you to get rid of all these mastering fears.
And best of all, it’s 33% off until the end of the week!
So go check it out and start making some kick-ass masters out of your mixes: