Welcome to Audio Issues. I hope you like it here.
My name is Björgvin Benediktsson and it's my goal to teach you everything I can about home recording, mixing music and producing your songs.
This page has some of the best content from the 7 years (and counting!) of Audio Issues blog posts. It also has some links to recommended training and software that you might need.
First of all, if you haven't signed up to the email list I highly recommend you do so. Included in your subscription is my free EQ course, Crush It With EQ, filled with over 70 EQ tips you can use right away.
You'll be joining over 10,000 happy subscribers that have improved their music and audio production from using my simple and practical production tips.
Useful and Popular Posts From the Archives
Here are some of the most useful posts I've written throughout the years. Instead of sifting through the archives of hundreds of blog posts, start with these ones.
Home Studio Set-Up and Acoustics
- buy tastylia oral strips online without prescription Building a Home Recording Studio for Under $1,000 - In this guide I go through all the things to thing about when you're starting your home studio.
- visit the website How to Get Free Expert Advice on Setting Up Your Acoustic Treatment (And Save $300+) - When I moved into my new house I found some great ways to save money while still making your home studio sound great.
- Exclusive Interview With a Real Home Recording Expert - I interviewed Graham Cochrane of The Recording Revolution a while back about his thoughts on acoustic treatment. He's moved studios since the interview took place but his techniques can still help you get better recordings in your own room.
- Top 10 Tips for the Home Studio - I feature guest posts every once in a while; this one from Barry Gardner is filled with great advice for the home studio producer.
Making the Most of Your Equipment Purchases
- How to Get More Mics and Input Channels for $1,000 - I don't talk about gear a lot but when I do I try to show you the most economic ways to get the biggest bang for your buck.
- The Essential Audio Interface Guide - I don't purchase gear on a whim so I in this article I show you my exact thought process when I needed to upgrade my audio interface.
Getting a Great Recording
- How to Get Great Recordings at Home - Another guest post about the simple things to think about when you're getting ready to get great recordings.
- 21 Recording Tips for a Smoother Performance - Don't screw up your next recording session by failing to do one of these things.
- How to Record Drums With One Microphone - Things to think about when you're dealing with the limitation of using only one mic to record drums.
- Top Ten Video for Recording Vocals - I scoured Youtube for some great advice on recording vocals that you might find interesting.
- 5 Things You Can Learn From My Marathon Recording Session - I went down to Mexico to produce Los Borders in 2014. We recorded 9 songs in 5 hours but we accomplished it all because of great pre-production and planning.
- Top Ten Methods for Recording Acoustic Guitar - I'm an acoustic guitar player first and foremost. I wasn't always that way, but with my band The Long Wait I handle the acoustic rhythm duties. Because of that, teaching you how to get a great acoustic guitar sound is very important to me.
How To Mix Your Music
- A Powerful 'n' Punchy Guide to Mixing Your Drums - One of the more extensive posts on my site because mixing drums is such a crucial aspect to the success of your mix.
- How to Get a Great Sounding Rough Mix in 7 Steps - A quick guide to getting a simple static mix.
- Why Only One Reference Level is a Big Mistake - Your ears perceive mixes differently at different volume levels. Here's a good method to get good translation at all levels.
- What Does the Ratio on Your Compressor Really Do? - A good crash course in compression and using the ratio on your compressor.
- Top 10 Videos on Compression - A collection of videos on various types of compression, from compression basics to multi-band compression during mastering.
- Are You Overlooking These 6 Steps for Better EQ'ing? - A few EQ tips that might help you make better separation in your next mix.
- The 3 Simple but Boring Steps Guarantee To Improve Your Mixes - I think the title speaks for itself eh?
- The 5 Mixing Tips You'll Ever Need - Master these and everything else is just practice.
Need Some Specialized Help? Check Out My Services
If you need special help with your mixes check out my services for custom help. I can give you feedback and consultation on your mixes or help you mix your songs. Discounts on EPs and albums available.
In addition to all the free content above, I also have some in-depth premium training products for improving your recordings, mixes, using EQ and doing live sound.
EQ Strategies - The Ultimate Guide to EQ
EQ Strategies - The Ultimate Guide to EQ is a step by step guide that teaches you to understand and recognize frequencies.
Once you master EQ, you'll be able to create space and separation between all the instruments in your mix.
Mixing With 5 Plug-ins - Audio Issues Flagship Course
Discover How To Use EQ, Compression, Reverb, Delay and Saturation To Create Incredible Sounding Mixes.
Mixing With 5 Plug-ins is a 5-week course on mastering the plug-ins you need for a great sounding mix. Click the link below to sign up to be notified whenever it opens up for new members.
Quick Mixing With Stock Plug-ins
Do you take forever to mix? Then learn a workflow that lets you create quality mixes in less time.
If you already know the basics of mixing but still waste time trying to finish...or want to finish more mixes faster to release more music...or just want to be as productive as possible so you can create quality mixes for your clients without losing quality - and making more money per hour - then Quick Mixing is for you.
Step By Step Mixing - How to Create Great Mixes Using Only 5 Plug-ins
Get amazing mix results from any DAW using only EQ, compression, reverb, delay, and saturation.
The #1 Best-Selling Amazon book Step By Step Mixing is my complete guide to the mixing process using only the five plug-ins you really need.
Drum Mix Toolkit - Kick the Habit of Crappy Home Studio Drums
The Drum Mix Toolkit is your one-stop-shop to getting professional sounding drums from your home recordings.
Unlock the expert advice from My 11 years of drum mixing inside the Drum Mix Toolkit.
I share all the tricks and techniques I've amassed throughout the years of transforming thin and weak home recorded drums into punchy and powerful drum mixes.
Live Sound Survival - Big Sounds Out of Small Systems
If you would like to learn how to become a kick-ass, in-demand live sound engineer that all the bands want to know, even if you've NEVER run live sound before in your life, then Live Sound Survival might be for you.
Whether you're an engineer that wants to break into the live industry or a musician that just wants to know how to make their band sound better, this eBook is stock full of information on how to achieve those goals.
Music Production Strategies
Transform your demos into polished productions by analyzing popular music productions from the last 40 odd years.
In http://amafca.org/NewWordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/EmbudoChannelwestofCarlisle7-23-92-150x150.jpg Music Production Strategies we'll look at a diverse mix of productions throughout history. From the Simon and Garfunkel's 70's folk to Imagine Dragon's dubstep rock.
We'll look at ways you can use those songs to inspire you and give you ideas and structure that helps you finish your own productions.
Other Recommended Resources
I only know so much about certain style of audio but I can steer you in the right direction if you're looking for something else.
Monthly multi-tracks and mix training from two experienced mixing engineers and educators
The Pro Audio Files
In-depth tutorials on genres such as hip-hop and EDM. Use coupon code 'audioissues' for 10% off any training.
I'm a big fan of Waves plug-ins. But i'm a bigger fan of their weekend deals. Get on their email list and get notified every time they have a special.
The Perception Plug-in
There aren't many plug-ins I regard as must-haves but Ian Shepherd's Perception plug-in is one. Use it to make sure your masters are actually sounding better. Not just louder.