An In-Depth Interview With Ian Shepherd on Mastering The Long Wait
I’ve got some exciting stuff for you today.
I sat down with Ian Shepherd of Production Advice and we talked about his process of mastering The Long Wait’s debut album.
In case you didn’t know, The Long Wait is my band. We recorded the album in the last year and after producing, recording and mixing the entire thing I just couldn’t bear to master it myself.
Good thing I’ve got some great friends in high and mighty places! Ian took my compilation of random mixes and made them sound like they all belonged together on an album, and for that I am truly grateful!
I was curious to learn more about his process and how he approached mastering the album so I thought I’d record the whole conversation for you to learn something as well.
In the interview we talk about:
- His secret EQ weapon he used on one of the songs
- Crazy mastering EQ curves that scared him (but ultimately made the song sound better)
- The importance of an overall balance
- How he opened up one of the mixes I always had problems with
- Making EQ decisions when you’re blending a full band with an orchestra
- The confidence conundrum and why it’s not always best to master your own mixes
The Long Wait album
comes out next week is available right now!
Take a listen to the album and also enjoy our chat.
Special Deal on the Home Mastering Masterclass
If you are interested in joining the Home Mastering Masterclass, Ian and I where I show you how to get a quality mix and master with only stock plug-ins.
All you need to do is purchase your membership through the link above and use the coupon code ‘ailongwait’, then just email me your receipt for Ian’s class and I’ll send you your free copy of Quick Mixing/Mastering.