How to Get More Powerful Rock Guitar Sound During Tracking
A great guitar sound is crucial for making a rock song sound huge. Turns out, making it big during tracking goes A LONG WAY.
We’re in the middle of recording a punk rock EP and last time we got an excellent guitar sound after we experimented a bit during the tracking phase.
Here’s what we did:
Double Tracked Multiple Guitars
The guitar player plays a single-coil Stratocaster that has a very distinct, slightly wiry sound. To get more depth to the guitar sound, we double-tracked the rhythm guitar parts with an Epiphone Semi-Hollow Body.
You could argue that the sound of the semi-hollow body is almost the opposite of the single-coil Stratocaster. But together they complemented each other well.
Different Amp Sounds
Because of the different ways these two guitars react to distortion we used two different amp settings for each one. I have a versatile Vox Valvetronix amp that can give you a smorgasbord of sounds, so we spent some time getting the amp settings just right.
What we ended up with was a fairly distorted and dark sounding amp setting for the Epiphone, which suited the guitar perfectly, and a crunchy overdrive for the Stratocaster. The chunky overdrive flattered the Stratocaster sound nicely, thickened up the single-coil sound and seemed more like a punch in the face than a wall of noise.
The trick there was to keep the gain of the overdrive on the safe side. Too much overdrive and you’ll end up with a mushy mess that sounds unclear and distorted.
The additional distortion from the Epiphone took care of adding enough distortion and gain to make the song sound like a punch song, and when you put the two guitars together, they sounded much bigger than the sum of their parts.
Don’t Make My Guitar Sound Mistake!
The reason we spent so much time on getting the right guitar sound was that we didn’t think enough about it when we recorded their last song.
The amp sound we recorded for their last song was much harder to fit in the mix, so taking the time to get the exact sound we wanted from the start helped us make the mixing process that much easier.
This is one of the mistakes I’ll be talking about inside my video, Don’t Make These Mistakes When Producing Punk! ($49 Value)
It’s an in-depth look at the various things I learned while recording this recent Punk EP.
- How to avoid fixing a sludgy guitar sound in the mix.
- How to double track with two different sounds to get a bigger guitar sound.
- Finding the right overhead sound to avoid harshness.
- Compression techniques for a growling bass
- How to know when your mix has a good frequency balance (especially in the highs!)
- How to make three hard-hitting vocalists sound huge together
I include it as a free bonus to anybody who buys Jordan Valeriote’s Hardcore Tracking. It’s where you’ll learn to cut your recording time in half while getting 10x better results (and learn the framework for tracking that naturally reduces your editing and mixing time in half too!)
As if that’s not enough, I want to make sure you get a bunch of extra content for free when you enroll in his workshop.
That’s why I also include two more bonuses:
Free Bonus #2 – Mixing With With Plug-ins ($199 Value)
Mixing With 5 Plug-ins is my flagship course that tackles the five most essential plug-ins to master in every mix.
- Learn to get organized and simplify your mixing process to create more mixes that sound better in less time
- Learn practical EQ tips to make all of your instruments fit in your mix
- Learn to use compression to create punchy and tight mixes
- Learn to use reverb and delay to add space and depth to your mixes without cluttering up the song and making yourself sound like an amateur
- Learn everything you need to know about saturation to add that secret sauce to your songs that make people take notice of your skills
- Learn an invaluable process to getting your mix to translate to any speaker or sound system
Free Bonus #3 – Recording & Mixing Strategies ($77 Value)
- Recording Strategies is filled with shortcuts to great recordings without the tedious technical explanations.
- Mixing Strategies offers simple to use tricks to make your drums, guitars, vocals and low-end sound tighter and cleaner.
- Includes Two In-Depth eBooks and 11 videos on making better productions.
That’s Over $300 in Value for Free
Here’s How You Get These Bonuses:
Click this link before you purchase to get access to my bonuses. It’s the only way I’ll know you bought through my site and the only way you’re eligible for the free bonuses.
Once the course closes, Jordan will send me a list of everyone who bought through my link above and then I’ll send you your free bonuses.
So if you’re interested in learning to record hard hitting tracks that sound better than other people’s final mixes then head on over to the Hardcore Tracking page and start your journey.
Hardcore tracking will close in 3 days so now is the chance to learn to make your raw recordings rock!