This week I interviewed producer Craig Schumacher of Wavelab Studios in Tucson Arizona.
Craig is world-renowned producer. Calexico, Amos Lee, KT Tunstall, Neko Case, acts that have used his services in the past and Wavelab Studios has a reputation as a great environment to make quality music.
We sat down at his studio in downtown Tucson and had a chat about music, production and the general feel of the industry we’re all in.
In part 1 of his interview we discussed:
- His philosophy towards his one room studio sound and how he mixes without a control room
- How he mics a kick drum and why everyone in Ireland knows his drum sound
- Why he’s stopped compromising on what kind of projects he takes on
- Why it’s always about the performance when it comes to music production
- Why the scratch take can become the most important take of the whole song
- We discuss Copper and Congress a lot. If you don’t know them you should check them out here.
Take a listen here:
(Right-click on the link to save to your computer)
Stay tuned for part II next week when we discuss his approach to bottom-up mixing, why kids don’t understand plug-ins these days and the reemergence of the all-new PotLuckConference
Have a great weekend,